List of Documents Needed for Taxes


The clock is ticking on filing your taxes! Do you know what to bring to your tax appointment, or what you'll need to file taxes on your own? Check out this handy list and determine which are relevant to you.

Personal Information: your social security number; spouse's full name and SSN or tax ID

Dependents' Information: dates of birth and SSNs for your children; childcare records; income of other adults in your home

Sources of Income:

  • Employed: Forms W-2
  • Unemployment: 1099-G
  • Self Employed: Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K1, income records, records of expenses, home office information, record of estimated tax payments (1040 ES)

Rental Income: records of income and expenses, rental asset info, Form 1040ES, form 1098 for each mortgage

Retirement Income: Pension, IRA, annuity income (1099-R); traditional IRA basis, social security income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)

Miscellaneous Income: jury duty, lottery, gambling winnings, prizes/awards

Savings and Investments or Dividends: Interest on accounts, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)

Documents pertaining to Deductions such as: home ownership and mortgages (1098), charitable donations, medical expenses, health insurance, childcare expenses, education expenses and student loan information (1098-E), unreimbursed job expenses, state & local tax/sales tax, retirement contributions, Federally Declared Disaster expenses

For more information, visit the IRS' website or contact your tax preparer ahead of your appointment.